TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > EBay or other finds

A fool and his money...

doctordeath
Sat, 11/04/2015 - 00:30

Aaaah cassette tapes...

We've all heard the age-old proverb "A fool and his money are easily parted", well it should probably read "A fool and his money are best parted via the internet", Almost weekly I receive some kind of heads-up notification about something someone has seen on ebay that to them immediately shouts SCAMMER!

And to be fair, 99% of the reports I get from users are probably correct! (I'm probably the 1% that cries SCAMMER when someone actually has something legit)

It comes down to three things, simple economics (there is value to someone in making fakes), ease of creation (photocopy, dub over an old tape, stuff into old cassette box) and ofcourse the final sale (ebay, tshirtslayer, metal trade forums etc)

What does really amaze me is not that people are making bootlegs, but that people are stupid enough to pay - sometimes - big dollars for these items.

Can the market place for these fakes be split into two sides?

- Those that are too ignorant and sheltered to realise that creating a fake cassette tape is as easy as photocopying some paper and dubbing over a cassette tape

- Those that probably don't even think that far but often have way too much spare cash in their pockets - "when I was a kid" paying 50USD+ for a demo tape was completely and utterly out of the question, there was simply a lot less economic incentive for bootleggers to bother because the distribution mediums were a lot more limited

This item http://www.ebay.de/itm/Morbid-December-Moon-demo-1987-Death-Mayhem-Thorn... is currently sailing past the 55USD mark for a bit of plastic and a quick photocopy

It doesn't take long to look at his other items and realise.. fuck me.. all the tapes and paper booklets appear to have the same handwriting and virtually the same age difference (the paper printout is aged but the actual cassette seems to be miraculously unscathed, like he swiped what was left of his mothers bulk-pack collection of blank D90's ready for a Demis Roussos dubbing of god-like-proportions.

So where to from here? Well, I don't personally think there is much that can be done about it - people simply are too gullible and the mediums for sale are too numerous to stop any kind of trade, we can't ban the scammers from the forums, there's really no point in calling The Police to do anything about it (I don't mean Sting, Stewy and friends)

At this point, I'm almost willing to just say To hell with it, if you guys have way too much cash and you probably have never handled a cassette tape before, then too bad to you if you lose probably hundreds of dollars!

Just for prosperity i've included some photos of the other tapes one alleged scammer is selling, you can tell me if there's something fishy or not! Check the similarities in the paper aging process, cassette age etc

In summary, ... I really don't have much to say, just be aware that the booklet is just a matter of photocopying /reprinting and that you can still buy any obscure blank tape you could wish for from ebay..

Now I'm no Graphologist but it doesnt take much to figure this one out..
Check out the similarities in the "G" and "E" and "N"'s

Hell, SOMEONE BUY THIS MAN A DIFFERENT MARKER TO USE!

Don't be fooled... Don't trust anything on the internet (not even this article!)

meaningless's picture

....not even this article..hahha..u made my day Doc..now im rdy to go to sleep..thx..haha

judascrust's picture

i'd be almost willing to bet that most of the people who spend exorbitant amounts of money on these "original" demos are probably impressionable kids who weren't even alive when these demos were recorded and feel like they need a copy so they can earn some street cred in the scene like "oh yeah I got an original copy of the morbid demo" and feel like they're as cool as the old fuckers who grew up listening to metal when it was new & fresh and experienced it's development 1sthand .... in this kind of music it's hard to be taken seriously as a fan unless you're old school; I think that's why shit costs so Damn much, cuz people know there's kids out there willing to pay for it

rusty74's picture

That was a well put together article...excellent write up.

BlackMetalHailey's picture

Personally, I don't think many of the younger fans are buying original demos to "earn street cred". I don't think it's for that, but someone passionate about the scene is willing to shell out some cash for it, though they probably aren't researching as much as they should to actually verify whether or not they're original. Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot on a demo, especially not to impress some smug old guy with a superiotry complex.

Blüdrayne's picture

Quite a few of these demos are still available as fan-dubs. I think it's not a problem if they're sold as bootlegs or reproductions. If someone sold me that december moon demo for $5 or so, as a bootleg, I would still buy it.

meaningless's picture

true words..true words..and for 5$..i would buy it too

nameless_rites's picture

I reported a couple of his listings to ebay as counterfeit, I suggest the rest of you do the same. They'll remove the listings; any seller who bought one with PayPal can force a refund through ebay as well.

MasterDeath's picture

Great job Doc!

gloriousdeath's picture

ebay member vinylterror is the same guy as that weirdo snopale/ baalberith we had around on TSS for a while... it's Spyros Accurser of Nazarene Deceiver/ Tragedy Begins.... besides being a scammer, this guy is really strange... older TSS members will remember him !!!

MasterDeath's picture

And another name I'll add to your list "hyperfa", and guess the country, GREECE! That is his another name here on TSS. Very strange person, whenever he presses his finger onto the keyboard, he lies. I know that a lot of people would slit his throat.

MasterDeath's picture

I would give him a proper punishment.

VoodooChild's picture

And I would love to see you do that. Damn fucker kept e-mailing me. I dont use that email adres anymore but he probably still sends stuff to it..

VoodooChild's picture

Yeah I remember that guy.. crazy dude that was. Even e-mailed me on my private e-mail for some time.. Long storys about jews and helping him pay taxes and stuff. Offering me gifts. So he's back ey?

Liberator's picture

Hahaha...I remember getting some emails from this guy.

Claudandus's picture

Personally I'm a cheap bastard so buying originals is just not an option for me. And since they're so easy to fake and the authenticity is so hard to confirm I stick to bootlegs/repressings. I've never got sucked into the whole "everything must be original/first press"-hype. As long as I have the music in a physical format I'm satisfied. Sure, having a first press or an original demo is pretty cool. But nothing I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars on if I can get the same content for 5 euros or so.

Liberator's picture

Good attitude buddy! After all this is music to be played and enjoyed, not worshiped at some fucking altar. Surprising how record flippers and scum bootleggers are able to make profit, just cos of people willing to pay massive amounts on even the newest releases.

Claudandus's picture

Indeed. I can get why people want to collect rare and obscure things. It's fun to spend money on useless shit that probably only you see the value in. I've been known to do quite a bit of that myself.
But when you become overtly anal and obnoxious about it and make it out to be like "only first press is real" then you seriously need to check your priorities in life.

Daniel Sodomaniac's picture

Amen to that!

JoeCool6972's picture

I would love to have some bootleg copies of Metallica's No Life til Leather and Power Metal, and the 91 and 93 demos done by Mike Torraro's Possessed, but at a REASONABLE PRICE. These are ridiculous rip offs!

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• Bothered by the grammatical error of it's instead of its.
  • I got this a few days as a gift. It's really a very good question.
  • Never seen this one. Nice!
  • Gotcha, that's CCC.
  • i don’t even know what to say hahahaahhaaha
  • where’s my pookie at he gon luv this
  • What is happening in that front graphic? Looks like a serpent swallowing a giant gas mask but that can't be right
  • Well, the shirt is made by german merchandiser EMP, probably an shop exclusive.
  • right here
  • Thanks! It sure is.
  • Where is the risk mad man at?
  • very cool, where did you buy it?
  • Interesting back print lol
  • I'm pretty sure Soldier of Hell made these, unless this is a subsequent issue.
  • Sadly not
  • Do you know who made these? I love the design work.