TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Drum machines - yea or nay?

judascrust
Wed, 10/02/2016 - 02:40

some people aren't very fond of electronic/computer generated drums; they prefer the genuineness and truer "feeling" of a human drummer - me personally I like the kind of cold, anti-human feel drum machines lend to certain bands - godflesh, mortician, mysticum, even summoning.... stupid question I guess, was just curious about how you all feel about them.

imfan1975's picture

A lot of brutal death metal bands/slam though i love those genres, the drum machines sound like shit in those. In those one man black metal projects they sound alright, but like you mentioned I prefer human drummers as a whole.

Nater90's picture

Depends on the band I guess.

Megatron1777's picture

As a drummer I detest drum machines, I have heard stuff before where it's done good but still can't compare to the real thing

nameless_rites's picture

I've played drums for many years; I usually don't like the machine sound either but in a few cases it sounds good (Summoning). If the band's drummer is so bad he can't play anywhere near the beat (Mutiilation) I suppose it would be preferable.

OTOH a lot of modern metal bands using post production blended samples, fully triggered kits, quantizing on everything etc.... you might as well call that a drum machine too, since most of the subtler human variability of a live performance is gone.

oldmate's picture

Love real drums. also love drum machines for 1 man bands!

dont like it in BDM or SLAM

ZAKRAT's picture

I do like it, especially the 80's sounding ones, like on early Godflesh, Ministry and Skinny Puppy stuff.

SpineSplitter666's picture

I use a drum machine for my one man black metal band Death In Eden. It's very beneficial to me, and I don't think it sounds completely like garbage haha, so I'm for drum machines. Of course I'm all for drum machines in other bands too.

vomitoxic's picture

I prefer real drums but machinedrum is okay if used right.

PForx's picture

No. NOOOO no no no NO.

nwobhmbanger's picture

I know Manilla Road used a drum machine on The Courts of Chaos. What made the biggest difference was that Randy "Thrasher" Foxe actually could play all of the parts which he programmed on an acoustic drum set. Amazing drummer.

Chainbreaker's picture

Rockin' Rolf uses drum machines on a lot of later Running Wild-albums, since he is a one-man band nowadays, but to me it seems like a lot of these albums would have sounded so much better with a real drummer. The drums really sound forced, unnatural and bland.

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments