TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Do any of you admit to having a soft spot for anything in the mainstream?

Joel
Tue, 29/09/2015 - 05:17

This question is directed particularly toward fans of Death Metal and especially Black Metal. The characters and tastes of metalheads can vary greatly. We're all different types of people, but I'm wondering if any of you would admit to appreciating certain things that could be considered mainstream (books, movies, video games, music, TV shows, etc.). Be honest!

Doktor Kananga's picture

I´m not into black metal, but I discovered Death Metal for me very heavily over the last couple of years.
;-)
I have a soft spot for ABBA, Broadway Musicals and the xbox-one version of World of Tanks.
But please, don´t tell anybody ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Joel's picture

I don't have to tell anybody! Anybody who reads this forum topic will know your dark secrets!

NISSE666's picture

ABBA Kills!

Joel's picture

Sweden's pride right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

And how about this timeless parody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqBWvmhS-AY

NISSE666's picture

Haha! That wing stuff was awesome!

Nater90's picture

Outside of "Metal" I have a soft spot for former Pop duo Savage Garden, I've liked them ever since I was 6 years old and still enjoy till this day (I'm actually 25 today funnily enough) I like a bit of Michael Jackson's solo stuff, Neo Classical Darkwave / Dark Ambient duo Nox Arcana, Classical Music.

Certain movie and TV soundtracks have some good stuff, Just depends on the genre of movie/show.

Video games have some ok stuff, But I play old games over new so I'm not to sure of the newer era as much.

Joel's picture

Happy birthday! My favorite movie soundtrack is The Empire strikes Back by far and I'm a fan of both old and new video games.

Nater90's picture

Thanks bro.

I'm rather fond of Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm St, A Clockwork Orange, The Warriors, Pulp Fiction.

Nater90's picture

Oh and I think I've mentioned previously, Rick Astley is fucking awesome to!

Metalmate's picture

+1 on savage garden..

Nater90's picture

Hell yeah!

I crank them on a weekly basis.

Turkey-man's picture

The Simpsons. I'm not sure whether C&C and Fallout series are considered mainstream. Honestly, never cared about it. At some point Metallica is mainstream.

Joel's picture

I love pre-1998 Simpsons and Metallica became mainstream after 1986-1987.

Doktor Kananga's picture

What about sports teams?

Nater90's picture

Man Utd till I die bro.

kertalaaki's picture

United scum!!!!!! Haha

Nater90's picture

If you're not a MANC your a wank ;)

kertalaaki's picture

Nah man, I bleed RED. Liverpool FC. :D

Nater90's picture

You can walk alone....Scouse Faggot....

I kid haha, I don't mind Liverpool, I hate others more then them.

kertalaaki's picture

Hahahah! Then I've been walking alone pretty much forever, been fan since I was kid. xD

and yeah I was kidding too with "scum" ;) ..But that doesn't mean I don't mind United and others haha.

Nater90's picture

Nice nice.

I know mate, I'm all good with slang / smack talk when it comes to Football, I love it.

kertalaaki's picture

Cool man! Yeah, I'm used to that too. I have a pretty good friend who is big united fan, it's fun pissing each other off when our teams play / a bit smack talk when talking about the recent success of games, etc. Good times! :D

Nater90's picture

Fuck yeah it is, My manager at work is an avid Spurs fan, We make a bag of chips bet when Man Utd vs em, Lets just say...I've won four packets to his none so far ;)

kertalaaki's picture

Hahahah great!

Joel's picture

Yeah, sure. I'm a fan of the San Francisco 49ers myself.

kertalaaki's picture

+ 1 this.

DethronedEmperor23's picture

just curious, but what rap artists?

Joel's picture

I know who Run the Jewels are. That guy Killer Mike is a trip.

Lyx's picture

Gib dein Rucksack oder drück Schutz ab!

Blackslashband's picture

eh du stuttgarta/ zieh dein rucksack ab/
das is wie mathe erste klasse/ jez wird plus gemacht
-2pac rip in peace sweet prince

Kathulex's picture

I love eurodance and think Cascada is pretty hot.
I love electronica in general but more on underground stuff like EBM, cybergoth, dark electro and the like.

Also 80's/90's pop in general is cool.

gizter's picture

eurodance <3

Judas Priestess's picture

I love electro

Joel's picture

There's some good electronica out there (not dubstep though). By the way, it's nice talking to you again! It's been quite a while!

I like some dubstep, I'm just very picky about it. A lot of it is crap imo. And yes, nice talking!

Kathulex's picture

What's wrong with dubstep?

Joel's picture

I just can't get into it, that's all.

Formshifter's picture

dubstep became really popular in north america around 2010. the first guy i remember hearing about a lot was rusko, a guy who fit in with a lot of the old school shit like skream. but then skrillex and the copycats came out and turned it into a transformers sfx track. a lot of people call the new dubstep "brostep". i remember when deadmau5 made a really long ballad track that had no "drop" and people were like oh wow hes so innovative. fucking bullshit, and also deadmau5 has been around for like 10 years and made lots of wierd electronic sideprojects, its only in the last 5 that people started to care, when he started producing brostep.

Nuclear Bear's picture

I love eurodance and Italodance too!

rusty74's picture

Apart from metal I actually listen to a lot of everything if it is good...I listen a lot to royksopp & sigur ros which I have a soft spot for, a lot of Aussie stuff like James Reyne, hunters and collectors etc, a lot of Aussie pub rock, sometimes I get sick of belting my ears with metal music.

Nater90's picture

Aussie Pub Rock is awesome.

I thought about going to see Cold Chisel and Grinspoon.

kertalaaki's picture

Simply too much to mention. Never really cared about what's mainstream or not. Synthpop, 80's pop, VGM, some electronic stuff etc etc etc, the list goes on forever.. I listen everything I find worth of listening, and don't care about the genres.

PForx's picture

I like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Joel's picture

Me too.

Hárbarðr's picture

+1
l also have a soft spot for Tolkien and Lovecraft, guess that is quite mainstream. And starting last summer, also for Tolstoi and Solzhenitsyn. That and old Sonata Arctica (blasphemy, huh? i just... like it, can't help it :) are what comes to mind, i don't watch tv, so nothing to say there.

PForx's picture

I think the only thing really mainstream about Tolkien is the movies based on his works. I don't think Lovecraft, Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn are mainstream in any way. Their names may be known to a lot of people, but not that many people actually read their works.

Joel's picture

Lovecraft was brilliant, but he's not for everybody.

Hárbarðr's picture

Yeah, i may have exaggerated. "Well known" is a better description.

judascrust's picture

I don't watch much tv but I like the walking dead a lot, best show on right now I think... breaking bad was awesome as well, really loved that one.
I still enjoy watching SpongeBob SquarePants...I have 2 little girls so it doesn't seem too weird for me to be watching it but I still love it, always cracks me up...
As far as music, I could sit in any little breakfast diner and listen to the golden oldies all day, all those old hits from the 50s and 60s, love that stuff.

DethronedEmperor23's picture

besides metal i listen to a lot of rap. Mainly drill artists (Chief Keef, Lil Herb, Lil Bibby, etc.) but basically the whole genre is great. Also some electronic, here and there.

meaningless's picture

oh...there is a lot of mainstream stuff i truly can enjoy as well :)
for example: P!nk (the blond tattooed chick u know)...its great, i love their albums - even saw her live 1-2 years ago..it was a fantastic concert!
..also some R'n'B stuff..(just with female vocals) like En Vogue, Destinys Child..
a little big german hip-hop (if it have dirty lyrics..haha)

and i love sitcomes (Married with childrens for example..haha..) or stuff like Fringe / Eureka / The Wire / The shield etc..

and i was..and always will be a gamer! (Playstation FTW..but i still have my first Nintendo, Sega Megadrive etc. as well..haha :P )

Joel's picture

Wow, Pink? Really? Well, okay, whatever works for you Markus!

By the way, I love the NES console. I used to play Mega Man 3 and Super Mario 3 on that console all the time when I was an actual kid (not the adult kid I am now).

meaningless's picture

oh i can remember a time, when i was a kid...i was so Metal-to-the-bone..that i have ignored EVERYTHING beside Metal..., which was pretty sad.., from the point of view..now. When i grow older...i was more and more open minded with every year. Its just music - and there is also some good stuff in the total mainstream..haha.... but damn...ill always be a metalhead inside and outside :P

and yes..NES was great! My big big love was Bubble Bobble :D ..this 2 dragons and the 100 stages were the best! :D

Joel's picture

Haha, I used to be the same way, so I can relate to what you're describing.

WarAndPain's picture

I love 80s pop (and obscure variations thereof, of course :P) and have even been known to enjoy modern pop/dance on occasion - I do consider myself to be pretty open-minded about trying new things, as it always seemed pointless to me to block out an entire genre because of preconceptions! I've also been known to listen to more hours in a row of Japanese Eurobeat than anyone in their right mind should...
I play a fair few popular Nintendo games (the king of handhelds) alongside others, use Steam and don't mind watching TV sitcoms if they're on. I can totally take or leave TV though, the only visual media I really like is 70s-90s science fiction, stupid B-movies (is that mainstream now?) and then lots of art films. I'd still rather listen to music though!
I'll read anything you put in front of me, but a lot of what I really enjoy is pretty obscure. I love The Lord of the Rings though, even though the films nearly ruined it for me.

Joel's picture

As far as the LOTR trilogy goes, I love both the books and movies.

Nater90's picture

Steam is awesome, They are starting to re-release a lot of my favourite DOS Games from my childhood!

I've always got Steam on when I'm on my home PC.

Joel's picture

Great program. I've been playing a lot of Jedi Outcast and Academy recently on Steam.

Nater90's picture

True that, Used to use Xfire till it closed recently also.

gloriousdeath's picture

i love prog-rock and nederbeat/ freakbeat/ Indo-rock.... something for the aficionados these days, but back then ( 60's and 70's) pretty much mainstream

gizter's picture

Q65 is nederbeat right?

gloriousdeath's picture

yep, definitely !!!! Q65, The Outsiders, The Golden Earrings, Les Baroques, The Hunters, Ro-d-ys... stuff like that

BruteAxe2011's picture

I get into bands that most would never admit to enjoying, like Black Label Society and 5FDP. I also love glam metal, and my favorite non-metal band is Blackmore's Night. Huge fan of classic rock, as well. I have always listened to what I like, and fuck whether anyone around me agrees! My favorite recent concert, as a matter of fact, was Stryper at House of Blues Anaheim just about a month ago.

For TV, I love Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Vikings. I also love shows like Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, and Storage Wars.

Movies, I can get into anything except chick flicks.

Joel's picture

You and I are kind of on the same page. I also like a lot of classic rock, I love Vikings and GoT and I've practically become an expert on Pawn Stars since 2010.

DeathRipper's picture

No music that I can think of, but as for tv, I'm big into Vikings and South Park.

Joel's picture

I love both.

Stathis's picture

hmm I really have a soft spot for the early 90's trip hop Bristol scene like Massive Attack and Portishead. I also like some Depeche Mode songs and Prodigy but apart from that if I am not listening to metal i will be listening to classic rock and maybe bands like QOTSA.

Joel's picture

There's plenty of good classic rock out there. Here's one I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7ZNPga1jQ

Joel's picture

I've always held John Fogerty and co. in high regard actually and uh...I've gotta say, that's a surprise coming from a big fan of overtly...Aryanized Black Metal like you! These guys are basically hippies! You just motivated me to look this up on YouTube by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxaA-bJ35s

Joel's picture

Yeah, for sure. Speaking of Russian NSBM, I'm a huge fan of Walknut's Graveforests and their Shadows. I would never give Gorruth and co. money, but the music itself is fantastic. I admit to being a little on the left-leaning side ideologically, but I own a vinyl copy of Abigor's Nachthymnen. The lyrics to one of my favorite Abigor songs The Dark Kiss were written by Hendrik Mobus while he was incarcerated for murder.

Joel's picture

Admittedly, it does creep me out a little, but not enough to boycott them. At least the lyrics are completely apolitical and non-racial. I'm also a huge fan of pre-1995 Emperor and I've known all about Faust for years. By the way, are you talking about most Metal in general or Black Metal specifically?

Joel's picture

Well put.

Joel's picture

True. There's all kinds of dialects in Metal's language.

Claudandus's picture

I adore some Adult Swim shows(Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Squidbillies). Also MTV's "Daria" is one of my all time favorite shows.

I still listen to a lot of "uncool" bands like Dimmu Borgir, Slipknot, Nightwish, Cradle of Filth, Blind Guardian and other that I picked up during my early teens.

I have a huge thing for video games. Mostly the stuff I grew up with. Nintendo 8-bit, Super Nintendo, Gamecube and so on. And I do actively collect/hunt games.

I love some "newspaper comics" like, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield and such.

Joel's picture

I've always liked pre-Nightfall era Blind Guardian, especially Battalions, Somewhere far Beyond, and Imaginations.

Claudandus's picture

My favorite would have to be Tales From the Twilight World. Still listen to it from time to time.

Hárbarðr's picture

This!! "Tales..." fucking slays, but i really love the first two, Somewhere far Beyond, and hell, all their albums hehe.

Joel's picture

For me, Battalions, Somewhere far Beyond, and Imaginations are their best.

R.J.'s picture

If Blind Guardian isn't cool, then fuck being cool.

Joel's picture

I think the two albums I mentioned are very cool.

R.J.'s picture

First two are my favorite, but their entire discography is pretty decent. Looking forward to finally seeing them live next month.

Joel's picture

Three albums.

NISSE666's picture

Papa Roach "Getting away with murder" is a great song!
Now i said it!

Nater90's picture

Couldn't agree more bro.

Fuck the haters!

I enjoy Papa Roaches early stuff, They write meaningful lyrics.

Formshifter's picture

12 year old me who didnt know about death and thrash yet would agree. cant say the same for 2015 me

Nater90's picture

12 year old me was into Punk & Punk-Rock, The heaviest I listened to was Classic Rock my Dad got me into.

Taikon's picture

Not going to bother with TV shows/books/etc as there are far too many, but music-wise I'm into some ambient/electronic (Biosphere, The Flashbulb, Ratatat, Hammock), post-rock (Mogwai, Labradford, Russian Circles, GY!BE) and hip-hop (Gravediggaz, DJ Shadow, Death Grips), amongst others. Not sure how "mainstream" most of those can be considered within their circles, though. I think the most mainstream non-metal bands I enjoy that I can remember off the top of my head would be Misfits, Gorillaz and Massive Attack, hahah.

vikingdantheman's picture

my favourite non metal band would be Primus.

Nater90's picture

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I share birthday with Les Claypool! We celebrated our awesome birthdays Tuesday just past ;)

Tommy The Cat is the best song ever.

Joel's picture

I love what's featured in that second link. Thanks for sharing.

Nater90's picture

Whoa, Killer artwork.

Love the Freddy Krueger one!

Joel's picture

Funny you brought up the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl loves a lot of Metal.

Formshifter's picture

i dont mind foo fighters but in toronto they fucking worship dave on the radio. they overplay nirvana and foos and were talking about the foo tour like a year in adance and didnt shut up all year. gets tiring after a while, but i need my morning traffic reports

SAATANANVITTU's picture

I love death metal and black metal (even though I consider myself more of a doom- gal) but I also love ABBA, Lana Del Rey, this one Finnish rapper called Paperi T and I think that Saturday Night Fever has one of the best soundtracks ever (I love movie soundtracks! Also Quentin Tarantino's soundtracks are extremely awesome)! I don't consider any of these a guilty pleasure though, because why would I? If it's great it's great. I do feel like going for something heavier after a few songs of the aforementioned though.

SpineSplitter666's picture

Wow, I love reading all of this here. It makes me feel like shit though because I only get enjoyment from metal xD I respect alllllll forms of music though. I just listen to metal though, it's just what sounds good to me. I watch a lot of horror films, maybe that's mainstream? But literally, those two things are what I do. I lead a solitary lifestyle lol

Joel's picture

It's alright if you're asocial. There are times when I can be a little on the asocial side myself. I guess certain iconic classic horror movies are mainstream or at least are considered mainstream-friendly. The Exorcist and Poltergeist come to mind immediately.

I'm a big fan of new wave (Duran Duran, Simple Minds, The Police, Devo, etc), electro (Justice, Daft Punk, Doctor P), alternative rock. I love Genesis, Eagles, Queens of the Stone Age, Steely Dan. I recently got into Slipknot from my close friends and I really like the new album, good live band too imo.

Joel's picture

I already posted it, but I love that Police song Invisible Sun.

Nater90's picture

I've been a Slipknot fan for 10-11 years, The new album makes me want to cry....

New wave is great, Check out "XTC - Making Plans For Nigel"

ProtectorOfMegadeth's picture

Michael Jackson, Nas, Mobb Deep. Too many books, movies, and shows to name

Nater90's picture

Michael Jackson has some amazing stuff.

ProtectorOfMegadeth's picture

Yeah man, been listening to him since I was 7, don't think I'll stop any time soon haha

Nater90's picture

Awesome! Hell no! Should get a MJ patch for my genre kutte.

mike584's picture

I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan, actually just saw him for the first time this last August at athe Paramount in Long Island. I'm also a fan a dreamy music like Beach House.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

I do admit to quite liking bits from The Prodigy (Brilliant live act)

greatabyss's picture

Well, I'm huge fans of Deftones, been listening to them since my school days and still do. Early Incubus and Smashing Pumpkins were cool, still listened to them time to time. And I love playing PS3, games I've played - GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, DMC4, KOF XIII, GOW3, RE5. And i'm getting Uncharted and Last of Us soon. Not upgrading PS4 until next year. Also, huge fans of Liverpool FC.

Joel's picture

The last of us is an amazing game. I've got it on my PS4's hard drive.

greatabyss's picture

Yea, the review is quite good. Can't wait to get mine. Have you finish it?

Joel's picture

Oh yeah, I finished it months ago.

greatabyss's picture

Cool. Any similar game to recommend? Heard that The Evil Within is quite good. Some old school RE elements

Joel's picture

I can't think of one at the moment and I've never played The Evil Within so I can't comment on that game.

VoodooChild's picture

different kinds of electronic music that is popular nowadays, Ice Cube and some j-pop

dubtribe's picture

Non Metal acts: Dead Can Dance, Calva Y Nada, old Beastie Boys

SIR STEWART WALLACE III's picture

beach house (Indie dream pop) albums: teen dream, bloom
electric six (all) plus solo album by from frontman Dick Valentine called "Destroy the Children"
robots with rayguns (retro 1980s pop)

ambrosia (1970s)
songs like "how much i feel", "your the only woman" , "biggest Part of Me" and my favorite "holding on to Yesterday"
if i could go back to the 1970s in a time machine i would.....

alan parsons project albums "I Robot" (1977) and "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" (1976 based on Edgar Allan Poe)
great albums i could listen to all the way through

Nater90's picture

Will have to check them out, I really like the poem Annabell Lee.

GregadetH's picture

I learned long ago that you can't be all metal all the time. I have a soft spot for ABBA and Lisa Loeb. Depeche Mode is great. In terms of rap I like Beasties, NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC. Old school stuff like that. I pretty much listen to NOTHING post 2000 other than Ghost and a few neo-thrash bands. Avenged Sevenfold have a few good songs. Can't stand Five Finger Death Punch and they're all over the radio here in the U.S.

Habunake's picture

I like The Weekend o.o

nameless_rites's picture

I'm not really into any pop music but I do listen to a lot of ambient and electronic; back in college I discovered Autechre, Biosphere, Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin etc. More recently I've enjoyed Throwing Snow, Trentemoller (early works), Burial, Tim Hecker, Aidan Baker, Murcof... and I've always had a soft spot for classic Berlin electronica, especially Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Dweller at the Threshold etc. Coil (especially later stuff) and the Brian Eno ambient records are timeless, too.

wolfskrieger's picture

I like true metal, classic rock, old punk bands that started out in the 1970's and grunge music. I cannot stand garbage like numetal, rap, core bands ( metalcore, thrashcore, deathcore and so on) pop, and country music.

Joel's picture

Classic Rock is good to go and a grunge song I love is Would? by Alice in Chains.

prince's purple rain album!
and "jungle love" by the Time

METAL lost classics:
AGENT STEEL album :SKEPTICS APOCALYPSE!!!!
speed metal!!!!!! not thrash!!!!
"speed metal"was a inbetween point between thrash and power metal!!!

Joel's picture

Agent Steel is a good band and I think that Speed Metal is more like classic Heavy Metal sped up considerably. To me, Power Metal is more like a continuation of classic Heavy Metal, usually in a more epic style.

2hobos1box's picture

If anyone here has heard of Beach Goth I really liked most of the artist that played this year at beach goth sadly I couldn't go since I had no money to but jesus christ did I see a lot of people complaining about how it's only for "hipsters".
Also I LOVE Fleetwood Mac original or not it's all great :)
oh and The prodigy.

imfan1975's picture

mainstream music none mainstream books none mainstream movies none i play gta 5 on my Xbox 1 its the only game i have and tv wise i watch George Lopez or that metal show

DisgustingSemla's picture

-

Mylla's picture

I really really like countrymusic. Both the more accepted (by musicians) bluegrass/mountain music stuff but also some of the the modern radiocountry like Luke Bryan. He has got a great voice and songs. In the US it is mainstream but here in Sweden I belive countrymusic is almost alternative :-) since so few listen to it. And it is considered really untrendy.

Cthulhu1999's picture

I love softcell or any synthpop and blues music.

Germzzzz's picture

The mainstream stuff I like is usually pretty old. I can't stand listening to new "rap"..it's horrible. I love old school rap,a ton of reggae bands,ton of classic rock,the fucking Beegees (I know I know),some dubstep,and some tv shows like the office and breaking bad. I like this thread a lot!! Metalheads are usually the ones who listen to a wide variety of awesome music...some others just stay in their closed minds and calls everyone a poser if that person doesn't like what they like.

Joel's picture

Great post man. I've gotta admit, I've got a soft spot for the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSpvI4W348

Piss's picture

delete

Nater90's picture

Took my girlfriend out for our anniversary last night, Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You was on the music channel, The gig was packed to the rafters and few were jumping.

I said to my girlfriend, Why are they moshing to that faggot? Haha.

llama_operation's picture

I really like Taylor Swift. In particular, her '1989' album.

Nater90's picture

From Bathory to Swifty eh?

Different, She's not my cuppa tea but has some talent nonetheless.

Joel's picture

Doesn't catch me off guard at all. I've seen a lot of surprising stuff on this thread. Meaningless claimed to enjoy Pink's music!

Nater90's picture

Indeed, Anything and everything is possible in this world.

Pink is great at what she does and footage I've seen of her live it goes off.

llama_operation's picture

Hahaha, I surprise myself sometimes.

THMManiac's picture

I'm down to fuck taylor swift does that count?

Joel's picture

If you want to see if you can get in her pants, then by all means, go ahead.

nizbah's picture

Saw Muse recently. They put on a hell of a show!

Joel's picture

Not my thing, but I'm glad you had a good time.

Pages

576,976 items in the gallery, 883,644 comments, and 659 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments