TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Did you ever dislike or even hate a band that you like alot now?

VoodooChild
Tue, 19/01/2016 - 14:06

I just wondered, where there ever bands you couldn't stand, hated or just simply couldn't get into/didn't care for that you listnen to now regularly and may even count among your favourites?

For me:
Metallica - I honestly hated this band, I got into metal through my father and started with Maiden and Slayer and evertime he came with Metallica I just fucking hated it, and fsr after a while I was listning to MOP and started to really enjoy them, now I really enjoy their early work.

Unleashed - I first saw artwork from Unleashed in a record store and was completely in love with the logo. I looked em up and fsr it didn't work for me, maybe since I expected BM and got DM. Didn't hate em or anything but just didn't stick or something. Not my thing. Fsr after a year or so I really started to love them (hell I'm listning to Shadows in the Deep while i write this)
don't know what happened, just suddenly liked them.

Motörhead - didn't like the music for a long time fsr, then a friend of mine played March ör die and I started to get into the band. Now one of my favourites and most respected bands ever.

Megadeth - didn't dislike em or anything but just did nothing for me, after more listens started to like them.

Judas Priest - simply didnt care for them, now I do. Dunno why, just happened.

Behemoth - got thrown to dead with this band by friends, it was all: BEHEMOTH! BEHEMOTH! BEHEMOTH! and it started to irritate me, only after I started to listnen to them myself without someone to tell me how genius they were I started to like em. Still dont think they are the best ever or anything, simply like em now.

In Flames - friends only made me listnen to new work, only became a fan when I listnend to lunar strain

Darkthrone - never liked em fsr, I liked BM but not Darkthrone for a really long time, especially the later work irritated me. Now fsr I listen to almost all the albums. I don't know how this change happened though
So.. hbu?

Chainbreaker's picture

Hammerfall - When they released their first album, they were being hailed as the saviors of (heavy) metal, so I took it upon me to listen to this album in the record store. The songs weren't too shabby I thought, only very predictable (and maybe a bit soulless in my opinion), but it was the voice of Joacim that really put me off. It wasn't until 10 years later that I kinda rediscovered them and now I really like some of their stuff. Still not a superfan of that voice though.

AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen: Growing up, I didn't have any friends that were into metal and metal was a predominantly male scene, so I went to a lot of these 70,80,90 parties which my friends liked (and I really came to hate) to catch up with them and maybe score some girls. After hours and hours of endless disco, pop and dance they would have like 15 minutes of rock on every one of these parties where they would play Thunderstruck, Whole Lotta Rosie, Highway To Hell and Paranoid alongside songs like Summer of 69, Paradise by the dashboard light, Grease Medley, Jump, I was made for loving you,.... Seeing the same fat slobs and sleazeballs dance to these songs as well as the dance, pop and disco and throwing these bands in with the rest of the muck, kinda ruined them forever for me. Now, more than 20 years later, I can listen to these bands and like some of them very much, but I can't always suppress the memories of these parties, making me barf just a little everytime I hear them.

Yoschi29's picture

Enforcer: To be honest, when I saw them for the second time in October 2014 (first time was in August 2014 at Summer Breeze but I was drunk as fuck and couldn't remember them haha) as openers for Prong and Overkill I wasn't sure if I should like their vocals and their outfit. I even caught a drumstick which was nice because I liked the guitars and the drums a lot but. I thought about getting a signature of the singer at the merch-table but I thought "naah, the band wasn't that good". Later I listened to a few records and thought "wtf, I even caught a drum stick from these cool guys!" And yeah at the moment it's - with some other bands of this NwotHM - one of my favorite bands, haha.

judascrust's picture

King diamond - was very put off by his vocals when I first discovered him; I tried to get into mercyful fate and his solo stuff many times and it just never clicked....until one day I decided to give it one more shot, and I picked up a copy of "don't break the oath"... that was it, the pieces fell into place and I suddenly began to appreciate the uniqueness of his style and how it worked so well with the music. I grew to enjoy more of his stuff but "...the oath" was and still is my favorite album that he sang on.

Discharge is another one....like mercyful fate I first became aware of them from metallica covering their songs on the "garage, inc" album. When I picked up a copy of the "never again" cd, I was left wanting, at that time I was still metal all the way and I hated most punk stuff that I heard. But years later I gave the band another shot, and got "hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing" and I was hooked, I finally "got" punk and started to enjoy a great many other classic hardcore records. But that old discharge stuff still mops the floor with most "extreme" stuff out there to me, still one of my favorite bands.

Chainbreaker's picture

It was the same for me with King Diamond! I mean Don't break the oath also changed everything for me. What a great album!

Metalmate's picture

Yep Ing Diamond took me a while. It was "The Eye" that finally got me into it.

Queen Catsie's picture

Cannibal Corpse (and brutal DM in general). Took four years and thousands of repeated tries, but it finally grew on me.

Snerk666's picture

Metallica. suddenly understood that they where actually fucking amazing before Cliff died. After that it went straight to hell. Apart from some cool riffs here and there off course.

Alot of black metal.

PForx's picture

I used to think Venom was way too low-fi. Now I worship it.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

I have had this with entire subgenres of metal... especially doom/psychedelic/occult stuff. Some four years ago I couldn't understand how people liked the music, since I thought it was boring and not fast enough. Fast forward a year and a half from that and I started to get more and more into doom bands and eventually realised that I felt like I had finally arrived home and was exactly where I needed to be - and felt more like myself than ever. I mean The Devil's Blood (I know they're not doom but occult rock and I cluster that together for simplicity) had been my favourite band all those four years but I always thought of it as an oddity next to my other favourites since they didn't fit in. Now I can honestly say that doom/psychedelic/occult stuff is definitely my main genre.

Also, the same basically happened with black metal (I'm not talking about Venom/Bathory/etc here, but the Darkthrone/Mayhem etc etc etc), I thought I'd never get into it but now I enjoy it a lot.

vomitoxic's picture

Sunn O))). For years I tried and tried to understand what with that band. Last year it somehow hit me and well not my favourite bands still but I enjoy it nowadays.

overkill386's picture

Metallica..........I was just a kid who was like "fuck metallica they're fucking main stream" but I listened to kill em all , ride the lighting and such and I I've been liking em now.......not the new stuff though LOL

VoodooChild's picture

Tbh I do not understand your comment.

Croby's picture

yeah, Dying Fetus, but then again, I was too young to realize how incredible this band was/is!

brhoffman's picture

at 1st I didn't like dying fetus , but it was because I mistoke another band my budy was playing for them , seen them with cannibal corpse and was blow away , I was like the the hell this isn't the shit those guys were playing , been hooked ever since , they are one of my top 5s

Lyx's picture

Cruel Force... No wait. Still dont like em

DeathInFire's picture

king diamond - couldn't stand the vocals at first. now i cant get enough of them.

gwar - took me a while to "get it." besides the great live shows, lots of really fun and catchy songs.

dream theater - the fanbase really turned me off. eventually started listening and are one of my favorites.

anthrax - didnt get the big deal at first. now they're probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite thrash band besides testament and metallica (yeah i love metallica. will defend them until i die.)

NocturnalOccultist's picture

Skull Fist.... No wait. Still hate em

Ngejo69's picture

Sunn O))): I was arguing with friends why they're so popular in late 2013. Early 2015, I was listening to their whole discography on loop, bought their records, and I'm saving money to buy tickets when they come to Melbourne on March 2016.
I have no idea what happened, I just suddenly like them after listening to their live recordings.

Not bands specific but more to the whole genre: grindcore, second wave of black metal, & funeral doom.
I used to not like them but after 2011, 2012, & 2013, respectively, I ended up enjoying more and more of them.
I guess it just regarding knowing what bands to start.

Joel's picture

When I was a high school student, I had a very lukewarm opinion of Stained Class (and Judas Priest in general). Now I idolize that album and the band.

Cthulhu1999's picture

Not really a band, but I really love St. Anger.( I know its not there best) It just has good memories attached to it.

Lizard's picture

Horn of the Rhino - didn't hate them but also didn't get into them while knowing they are good. But than they grew on me and when my personal life turned into pitchblack they became pretty much the soundtrack for my life. XD Know they're one of my fav bands.

Also had problems for years with GnR since Axl is an asshole. But with times going on I got over that and love to listen to them now.

THMManiac's picture

atmospheric black metal!

VoodooChild's picture

GG Allin, today. Fsr. hated it, love it now.

H_Entfremdung's picture

Inquisition: those frog vocals really needed some getting use to.
Deathspell Omega: although I still don't like all of their works, I've known to appreciate them more thanks to their musicianship.
The Devil's Blood: hated them mostly because of Selim's seemingly endless guitar wankery live ...

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments