TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Current patches(2000-2015) vs. Old patches(1980s-1999)

ProtectorOfMegadeth
Tue, 07/07/2015 - 02:42

I honestly think that most new and official patches are complete shite, how about you guys?

toxikholocaust's picture

some are shit and some are actually pretty good, but i agree most are shit.

Nater90's picture

Depends what the patch is of, Some look good some look shit, Will always be like that!

ProtectorOfMegadeth's picture

The Cannibal Corpse from 2001 are a good example, I just bought the Gore Obsessed one, and they look so disgusting to me

Nater90's picture

Some of Cannibal Corpses artwork just doesn't work when it comes to patches, Vincent Locke is a very detailed artist so some designs turn to look awful, Like the Tomb of the Mutilated patch I have on my first kutte;
http://tshirtslayer.com/battle-jacket/first-kutte

It looks pretty ratty compared to some others I found over the years.

I have the original too which looks a bit better, But the creatures head etc blocks the logo which peeves me a little.

2hobos1box's picture

http://melcdistro.bigcartel.com/products
Always has the coolest new patches tbh.

MaxPerv's picture

What a funny coincidence..... Most of the metal bands that have come out since 2000 are also complete shite! ;)

oldmate's picture

I like alot of the new patches. some of the metallica ones are great. Iron Maiden have some fantastic remakes and the newer Kreator ones are also really good

vikingdantheman's picture

I like the old patches better, mainly for nostalgic reasons but I like the detail that is possible in the (well made) new patches.

cambotero's picture

back in time most of the patches were made under the "less is more" thing, maybe cos it was cheaper and the machines that they got werent that great like the actual ones, but some of the new stuff are really good looking, like Heathen - evolution of chaos, Mayhem - deathcrush among others. but im glad we have a great bootleggers that make really cool stuff today.

nuclearthrasher666's picture

I prefer old patches as well. The main reason is that back then the designers where much more creative with their patches. Old patches have a more simple, "to-the-point" design. Instead of using the exact artwork of the albums, they focused on some cool details and combined them with some great fitting, simple colors. The result is awesome looking patches ! Also those alternative artworks are much more interesting then a flat adaptation from the original album artwork and sometimes even better ( for example : Asphyx- Crush the cenotaph, Pestilence- Consuming impulse, Sepultura- Schizophrenia). The "less is more" mentality is the key factor for amazing patches. Also old patches are much thicker than new ones, with better backing material . That the reason a 25 years old piece of cloth still looks great even if it's used

Cipher Drone's picture

i don't think any statements made along the lines of old=good, new=bad are accurate. both periods had boring/bad patches and both had great ones.

I think that advances in technology has made it easier for bands to produce good quality products that, unfortunately, are not always the most creative. However there are plenty of good creations out there if you are prepared to look.

On a related note: I don't think Testament ever had a really good woven patch until the Dark Roots of Earth came out. (Yes: even the Disciples of the Watch patch). I need one of those. Stat.

ProtectorOfMegadeth's picture

I have no problem with just plain album covers as patches, but the quality seems to have deteriorated

whiteravenmetal's picture

50/50 there's a lot of cool new designs, but of course nothing can beat the old school understanding to design patches.

Greaserjlg's picture

I prefer old school designs not only for patches, but t shirts and sweaters as well. All of the old school band merch was vibrant and full of different colors (iron maiden somewhere in time BP is a great example) most designs nowadays go for clean cut as little color as possible looks, which is unappealing to me. Most of the time, t-shirts are just the band or their logo in a box with nothing but black around it. Where's all the color and fun?

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments