TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Buying and supporting bands through their merch a bad thing?

Kerry Draconis
Sun, 24/05/2015 - 22:04

Well it seems to me these days (at least where I'm from) that when you mention that supporting your fav bands means buying their albums and merch a lot ov people tend to get butt-hurt and try to attack you and brand you with the term "ELITIST" .. don't get me wrong I have pulled off music from Youtube that I really can't seem to get anywhere else and can't get many "first pressings" being that one ov my main reason is where I'm from, but it just shocks me to know that there might be full masses in objection and name calling the people that touch the topic about supporting bands through buying their merch and albums...where I'm from it ridiculous to the point where it seems so crazy and unreal to me, I can say much on this topic but I'd really like to hear the thoughts from guys across the globe where I know the metal community is bigger and stronger than in my shitty-ass 3rd world country.

whiteravenmetal's picture

hahahaha wht?? That's the only way to support a band these days, if you can have official merch fuck yes you better go for it....

Kerry Draconis's picture

Not just merch, but their albums as well.

whiteravenmetal's picture

yes yes of course, I mean all the physical things they put out. Also there's many other ways to support, write reviews, spread the word, go to gigs whatever, but I'm referring to a $ thing.

Kerry Draconis's picture

I think that reviews and spreading the word around is much more easier now that 99.9% ov bands are on fb..and on Facebook we all know how things can go viral..and yes I do my part as well along those lines :)

lambofgodfan00's picture

Support bands in anyway you can and fuck anyone who looks down on you for that. As long as you aren't DELIBERATELY TRYING to rip off bands and do them wrong, go for it. Buy the albums and merch, suggest them to people and even have people listen to em.

If someone looks down on you for showing support for bands you love listening to, they need to look at themselves hard, because that's just them being a dick.

Toxicality's picture

Support the bands if possible, but a lot of old bands have new merch designs which are generally shitty. For example, have you seen Tokyo Blade's merch store? http://www.tokyoblade.com/shop/ It's kind of pathetic if you ask me. Anyway, try to support the bands especially if they are up and coming. If they have good re issues, well that's up to you whether or not you want an original album pressing or not. Also, a lot of old bands don't sell vinyl on their sites or even issue it anymore, so if you want vinyl and not CD you'd have to buy from someone beside the band.
Cheers!

Kerry Draconis's picture

I'm speaking ov supporting bands in general..you know? the stuff they put out there for sale.

Kerry Draconis's picture

When I say support bands I meant all the stuff they put out there for sale whether it be CD's, vinyl, shirts, second or first pressing...I meant as a general support.

Toxicality's picture

Then yes, support the bands you love!

Nater90's picture

Support them the best way you can and what feels good for you, Fuck what others think, Do what makes you happy because that's all that truly matters.

Blackslashband's picture

I play in a band myself. I'm always happy if someone buys our records, but I don't mind if someone "only" buys a patch/ shirt and listens to our music on youtube or downloads it illegaly. The main thing I want is for people to HEAR our music...

oldmate's picture

Album sales are still massively important to bands. If you like the band I think its wrong not to purchase the album. My rule is if I am going to listen to an album more than twice I buy it.

its even more important if the band is just starting or underground. these sales help them tour and get equipment and also helps them to be motivated and release more music.

sandmanforce's picture

I believe the power of first press records. Because of these kind music was closed to vinyl when they ruled. I do not like the repress because always maybe a possibility for pressing but there is too much difference with sound, cover, etc. Too easy buy a new version, and much more a better feeling find a rare classic on a vinyl boerse...

Speed_Metal_Drunk's picture

It's definitely best to buy merch directly from the band. I feel like the "elitist" thing to do is to support somebody's business on eBay when the same patch/shirt/record is on the band's merch store (and usually for less too). Before I buy anything on eBay, I always look to see if the band has it available first. But of course, it can't be helped when something is OOP.

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments