TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

The Blastbeat

joecubbie
Tue, 30/09/2014 - 17:23

Invented by Repulsion and perfected by Napalm Death...or was it? It seems that Cryptic Slaughter were using the blast beat at the same time if not earlier than Repulsion. And the first ever blastbeat, in my opinion, was heard in 1969 when the concept of metal, let alone grindcore and blastbeats didn't even exist!!! If you listen closely to the end of Don Brewer's drum solo on Grand Funk Railroad's “T.N.U.C.”, you can hear what sounds like a very primitive example of the blastbeat and most likely the first ever. So do we owe grindcore to Grand Funk Railroad? Crazy as it may seem, it's a possibility.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A12GettHK6Y

ThrashLikeIts86's picture

Always thought the first blastbeat was on Dirty Rotten LP.

judascrust's picture

I think it was in the book "swedish death metal" that there was a hardcore band in sweden called Asocial that used a blastbeat and whose demo preceded d.r.i's e.p. by a few months....you can keep going back further & further, musicians have been playing fast forever, jazz drummers were doing one handed drum rolls decades before extreme punk & metal came around....i don't think anyone can say for sure who "invented" it, everyone has their own way of playing super fast and someone's always going to come up with some older, obscure band who were playing fast before so-and-so.....mick harris usually gets credit because he coined the term but he had a unique way of doing it & that's just the word he used for his own way.

judascrust's picture

Yep, the next book about death metal will credit some other no-name punk band who put out a record 5 minutes before asocial did so THEY'LL be the new "inventors" hahaha

cambotero's picture

I heard that Wehrmacht were the frist ones to play almost like doing blastbeats. but dunno in fact. and what a nice title song hehe

joecubbie's picture

I know right?! Haha it would be crazy to think that the one time biggest band in all of the United States of America was a predecessor to Anal Cunt.

Salalele Poulo's picture

Napalm Death,Repulsion,Wehrmacht,Cryptic Slaughter,Dri, the first crust bands and Destruction on Devil's Soldiers from Sentence of Death here there's an amateur form of blast beat.

Hot Karl's picture

Great post Joe! I'm pretty sure this topic will be debated until the end of time. If I weren't buzzed from fine Belgian beers and listening to Invocator-Excursion Demise, I might have something worthwhile to add. Oh well, maybe we can continue this thread by arguing over single-foot vs. two-foot blasts...or American blasts vs. European. Moeller technique vs. hard hitters..triggers vs. whatever...300 tiny cymbals vs. 5 big ones...la la la :-)

578,240 items in the gallery, 883,980 comments, and 667 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments