TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

best/worst show you saw this year?

DeathInFire
Sun, 14/12/2014 - 15:58

december is almost over and so is the year so for all of you, what the best and/ or worst show you saw this year?

best: amon amarth with enslaved & skeletonwitch

of course amon amarth were amazing. they've never put on a bad show that i've been to. finally got to see enslaved and was real happy they played death in the eyes of dawn. missed most of skeletonwitch's set by accident but i saw them again this year and they were awesome.

worst: within temptation with amaranthe

within temptation are okay but my buddy is a big fan and wanted to go. the opening band amaranthe were pretty bad. they had 3 singers (1 male clean, 1 female clean and 1 male "guttural." guttural in the sense of not really guttural, just kind of screeching out the lyrics.) and their songs were just mediocre more than anything. within temptation came on and they were pretty boring as well. i was pretty tired and my buddy and i jokingly pushed against eachother a few times because there was no pit going during either band. some lady behind us yelled at me and went "wow, will you boys calm down" in a condescending voice. fuck her and fuck that show.

yours?

PForx's picture

Best show: This is a really hard decision. It has been a long year with many shows, so it's hard to pick favorites. It has to be either One Tail One Head at Tons of Rock, Poison Idea w/Deathhammer or Doom w/Disårder.
Worst show: Definitely Kampfar at Tons of Rock. The drum sound was shit and the singer acted (and almost looked!) like some glam-rockstar from West Hollywood in the 80s (which prompted me and some friends to start calling them 'Glamfar'). It was just awkward as hell and a huge disappointment. The worst part is that I missed Vanderbuyst to see that shitty performance because some asshole (who I'm not even friends with anymore) convinced me to see Kampfar instead.

MonoWhisper763's picture

Best show was GBH. I got to meet Colin outside of the venue, every opening band was good (Especially Reagan Youth and Angry Samoans) and the crowd was just so damn energetic!

The worst show this year was Destruction.. It wasn't even them who made it a bad experience. The venue was half- full and the people were dull; Krisiun's vocals were awful. I was up front row, and I could still not hear the vocals clearly (I believe it was a microphone problem, not sure). I still loved Destruction's performance though

gizter's picture

kinda hard to choose a favorite. got to see quite some great bands this year.
got to see Noothgrush this year, Russ came to me before the show when he spotted the Noothgrush backpatch. had a nice talk. the opening acts where great. Throw Me In The Crater is the heaviest band i have heard live so far. was on the front row during Noothgrush's set. got to talk to Dino and Chiyo afterwards aswell. all really nice people. and still thankfull for Geor (bls-georg-pantera) for letting me crash at his place. this would not have been possible without him.

worst might have been Phlebotomized. not really my taste anyway but the studio material doesnt sound that bad. live they where terrible. (sorry)
sounds really messy a lot of times and the clean vocals just sound plain terrible.

TemplesBelovv's picture

Best Show: Death in June
Worst Show: not a show in particular, mostly the support bands.

TStorm's picture

Best Show: Probably Amon Amarth with Skeletonwitch and Suffocation. Yeah, just absolutely kickass. Also, didn't really know Skeletonwitch before, and they were really awesome! Also, this may not really count as a show but Sabaton at Greenfield Festival was definately a Highlight for me, that set was fucking incredible.
I didn't really have any bad shows, but the worst one was probably Alestorm on the Piratefest UK Tour. Ive seen way better crowds than that, and also the fact that every single band that night was pirate metal got a bit repetitive after a while. I much preffered their show on the Storming Across Europe tour, with more diverse (and actually quite awesome) opening acts and a better crowd.

bad_american1992's picture

Best Show: Eminem @ the rose bowl
Worst Show: Smut Peddlers @ the observatory

joecubbie's picture

Best: Mötley Crüe and Alice Cooper: It was my first time seeing Alice and he did not disappoint. Mötley blew me away and in my opinion was better than the first time I saw them.

Worst: Winger: Never in my life would I want to see Winger. They are the epitome of 80s hair shit metal and suck so bad. However, when I found out they were opening for one of my my favorite 80s metal groups, Queensrÿche, I had no choice but to stand through their set just to have a good spot for Queensrÿche. That's how dedicated I am to Queensrÿche.

Judas Priestess's picture

Which Queensryche was it?

joecubbie's picture

The real one. No Geoff Tate

Symbolic692's picture

Best: this year would be Eluveitie, Tyr, and Metsatöll. I'm a big eluveitie fan and they did not disappoint, neither did any of the bands they were all fantastic. Plus I love the atmosphere of folk metal shows than any other genre. Everyone is so much nicer to each other and the crowd always gives off a brotherhood vibe.

Worst: Necrogoblikon, swashbuckle, and rainbowdragoneyes. I have never listened to necro prior to this and I really didn't care for them. The local openers were terrible and the reason I went was to see swashbuckle and they only got to play for like 20 -25 mins.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

Hard to pick a "Best" as I've seen loads this year; Varying from all of the Big Four, Iron Maiden, Carcass, Obituary, Morbid Angel, and many more! Though a personal highlight has to be Emperor, as they were fucking brilliant, and I never thought I'd get to see them :o

Morbid_Welshman's picture

Going to see some awesome bands next year too; Including, but not limited to - Cannibal Corpse, Sabaton, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Death (To All), Opeth...it's looking good already :D

Nater90's picture

This year has been one of the best years of my life!!!!!

Best bands; Mayhem, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Psycroptic, and Aborted (Hadn't heard much of them before I seen them but they were amazing and brutal as fuck! I felt the drum beats in my chest)

All of them played amazing sets and kicked ass! Mayhem and Cannibal Corpse were top two because they've inspired me so much.

Worse bands;
Two local bands, Little Bear Run; They were Indie, Their sound was awful, The band in general sucked ass, One of their songs had the main riff from System of a Down - Chop Suey!
Heathercross; The band was average just monotonousness "Hardcore / Deathcore" and the vocalist was a massive fuckwit and said to the audience (This was youth event by the way for local bands to be heard and a chance to play) "I am a bit hungover so if you know the lyrics give me a hand and sing along / for me" Which is just pathetic in my books, I know I go and see Alestorm and bands a like which yes...they drink and get drunk etc but this was a youth event and you don't want the future leaders exposed to getting an image for this sort of stuff.

As a whole, Its been a fucking awesome year, Rock on 2015 I want to see what you behold for me.

thrashing_death's picture

Best: King Diamond. No need for explanation.

Worst: Raven/Night Demon. Only because i didn't get to stay for Raven cause it was really far so we had to leave early, plus i twisted my ankle really bad and couldn't walk for 2 days. Cant think of any bad performances this year.

maidenfan620's picture

Shame you hurt your ankle man! That sucks...
Did Night Demon play any new material of the upcoming album?

Living Dead Hedgehog's picture

Best show this year was Despised Icon reunion show, really intense, the crowd was fucking crazy and everyone in the gig known the lyrics so everyone was screaming out loud everything, just awesome!!
Worst shows was the same night with Despised icon, it was Cerebral Bore with the new line-up: it was boring. I love their album but the new vocalist is not as awesome as the previous and I was like meh. The other show was with a local symphonic metal band which played a night with free entry, I left 10min after it began, not my taste and very boring.

trollhammaren666's picture

Best Show:

There is a somewhat local beautiful naval-battle-esque death metal band where I'm from named Scimitar. Three friends and I went to their first mainland show (off of the island) in Armstrong, the home of the severely under-appreciated Armstrong Metalfest. Here is where it gets fucked. We arrive, in confusion as to whether the show is actually going to happen. The promoter couldn't make it in from a few towns over for whatever reason and he was suppose to bring the pa. We run into the band inside the bar and begin talking to the bar owner. They end up doing an instrumental 45 min show just for us (the other four kids who showed up left as we were helping the band set up, fuck them, right?). We banged our fucking heads and screamed the words to the vocal-less anthems because we've been following the band for so long. After the short show, we help em pack up, smoke some doobs and drink some beers. It was so much damn fun. Saw a FREE Bison show in a bar which may have been the rowdiest most heart racing performance I've ever seen. That band is unbelievable and definitely deserves a close second place.

Worst Show:

N/A Tour with Origin/King Parrot/Beyond Creation

omfg.. I didn't even know who Origin was but was under the assumption they were tech death band leaning on the side of brutality. That was okay. The lead singer of King Parrot is a piece of scum. That dude spat on people, tipped drinks and hats and even shoved someone who was sitting on a bar stool causing them to fall, among a massive list of other downright dumb, disrespectful and unnecessary things. I don't think they made any fans that night. BUT—the whole reason I went—Beyond Creation—didn't even have their fucking mic turned on for their entire set. But they were still cool to see live and were really nice people : D

bad_american1992's picture

I saw King Parrot in LA, they were terrible! Just that fat fuck running around screaming. My buddy called him Phat Anselmo from the band Down Syndrome.

PForx's picture

I guess we had extremely different perceptions of Kampfar...

maidenfan620's picture

Best: Difficult to choose, but I have to say Volbeat at The Grove earlier this year was phenomenal. They always put on a great show and the crowds are always full of energy! This was the first time seeing them with a just a big group of friends and that always seems to make shows all the better. Plus I got to meet them afterwards and get my jacket signed by Michael Poulsen and Rob Caggiano!

Worst: I didn't see any bands this year that I didn't enjoy who weren't openers like Jess and the Ancient Ones at the King Diamond show, but when I saw Sanctuary, it was just dead. The band was great and meeting them was cool, but it was a Tuesday night in a venue much too big for them so it just seemed, well, empty. Was a bit depressing, haha!

Heavy Mental Maniac's picture

Best shows: King Diamond in Stockholm, Uli Jon Roth and Mindless Sinner at Muskelrock, Blasphemy in Stockholm, Anvil in Helsinki, Loudness at Jalometalli.

Worst shows: Probably some shitty warm-up I can't even remember.

Lars248's picture

Best shows: In Solitude (both times)

Worst: Cradle of Filth.

MasterDeath's picture

It's hard to say which show was the best... So I'll mention several shows that accelerated my heartbeat : Bolt Thrower, Venom, Inquisition, Mgla and Repulsion.
Worst show: Can't remember the band name, since it's not worth remembering.

Queen Catsie's picture

Best: a local show headlined by Midnite Hellion. The bands were all super good and I had a great time. Slayer/Exodus/ST was a really close runner-up, but this show was just too damn good.
Worst: Red Fang/In Flames. I didn't even stay for Opeth. I dont know if the bands legitimately played a crappy show or if I was just having a rough day after school and waiting in the cold for 3 hours, but I didn't enjoy it a damn bit.

oldmate's picture

Australia had a good year this year as far as international bands go. I was able to see 20+ metal bands

Best: Accept
I was just blown away by their show. It was full on old school metal. Loved every second of it.

I don't really have a Worst. If anything i though Grave was average, others who were at that show liked it lots, so might just have been me having a shitty night. having said that I really like the band Primate who supported Grave. Kevin Sharp is vox in that band so that always helps :)

meaningless's picture

worst show this year (and it was one of the worst shows i ever saw!): Scorpions 2014 @See Rock/Austria.
a total joke...this guys rly should stop to play live..and quit...ppffff...half set was a acoustic-show..the rest was far away from 'good'...rly rly sad what we saw there..Twisted Sister were blowing them away...and Status Quo too...

Best show: Bolt Thrower @headliner tour - Wien/Austria
This guys and the lady are just killers...and always bring it to the point - fantastic show of a fantastic band!

the beast's picture

saw this year 148 different bands on club gigs and festivals.personal best for me,haha^^
best gigs: necrowretch/morbus chron...cancer/manilla road @ hells pleasure...pearl jam...radio moscow @ freak valley.and i think alot of more good solid shows
bad gigs: the vallenfyre support...katatonia @ party.san.in general: some shit bands on festival and club supporting acts

gizter's picture

well, thats a lot of bands..
from what i could think if right now i've seen 58 bands this year, its more that i actualy expected.. but not even half of what you've seen.

the beast's picture

thats all i think...
Aborted*Abyssous*Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell*Ahab*Anciients*Archaic Thorn*ASG*At the Gates*Atlantean Kodex*Attic*Aura Noir*Beastmilk (3)*Benediction*Beyond*Black Sabbath*Black Wasteland*Blood Ceremony*Bloody Hammers (2)*Bolt Thrower*Bölzer (2)*Bushfire*Cancer*Caronte*Castle*Cauchemar*Cauldron*Causa Sui*Chaos Echeos*Chapel Of Disease*Church of Misery*Conan*Daniel Bay*Darkology*Dead Lord*Deathcult*Deathhammer*Dehuman Reign*Division Speed*Drowned*Elder (2)*Enforcer*
Ensnared*Entombed (2)*Erazor*Ereb Altor*Gehennah*God Macabre*Gorguts*Gozu*
Grand Magus*Grandloom*Grave (2)*Grave Miasma*Halcyon Way*Hellbringer*Hellfist*
Herder*Hull*i i*In Solitude (2)*Incarceration*Inquisition (2)*Instinct of Survival*Inter Arma*
Iron Kobra*Kadavar*Katatonia*King Diamond*Krossburst*Kvelertak*Lifeless*Lord Dying*
Lost Society*Malevolent Creation*Malthusian*Manilla Road*Mantar (2)*Marduk*
Mars Red Sky*Misery Index*Morbus Chron (2)*Morgoth*Mos Generator*Mother of God*
Mothership*Motorpsycho*Mountain Witch*My Sleeping Karma*Napalm Death*Necrowretch (2)*Noctum*Nocturnal*Obituary (2)*Orange Goblin*Overkill*Papir*Pearl Jam*Pentacle*Portrait*
Primordial*Prisma Circus*Prong*Protector*Prowler*Radar Men From The Moon*Radio Moscow (2)*Red Fang*Repuked*Repulsion*Requital*Rezet*Sadistic Intent*Saint Vitus*
Samsara Blues Experiment*Sardonis*Sasquatch*Satan's Satyrs*Satyricon*Saxon*
Siena Root*Sixty Watt Shaman*Skeletonwitch*Skid Row*Sleepy Sun*Solstafir (2)*
Soulburn*Soundgarden*Spirit Caravan*Stallion*Stoned Jesus*Suffocation*The Graviators (2)*
The Haunted*The Midnight Ghost Train*The Ruins of Beverast*The Shrine*Thulcandra*
Tombstones*Travelin Jack*Triptykon*Truckfighters*Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats*
Unlight*Vallenfyre*Valley of the Sun*Vampire*Venenum*Volture*Watain*Wight*
Witch Mountain*Witching Hour*Wo Fat*Wound

gizter's picture

that was pretty mean of of you..

quixotic's picture

too much good shows to choose from this year.

Best: Kylesa in July in Berlin (learned and played a song for me!) AND Primordial in Hamburg in November, the record release show

Worst: Grave Digger at the Dong Open Air, they played a weird set with lots of new stuff which might be good if the new stuff was good, but it was mostly boring.

MansonZombie's picture

Best: Volbeat with Trivium at the Bethlehem Sands Event Center

Worst: (The only other show I saw this year) Jimmy Buffett with Alan Jackson at the Hershey Park Stadium

Tuber's picture

The best 5 (not in order)
Swans
Manowar
Black Crucifixion
Death in June
Black Witchery

Worst:
Either Devouring Star or Imperia. These bands are both clowns of their genres.

I attended 9 events this year from which 2 were indoor festivals and 1 an outdoor festival.

lole66's picture

Best: Atlantean Kodex at Keep it true Festival and Hirax at Toulouse
Worst: Trepalium at a local show

Sickening Gore's picture

Best: Maryland Deathfest, Unleashed, Dark Angel, Nocturnus, Asphyx, Tankard, Cancer plus many many more all in one show, incredible.
Worst: Sanctuary, nearly fell asleep

venice thrasher's picture

Best: Psycho de Mayo with Pentagram, Kadavar, Saint Vitus, The Shrine and many more.
Satan at the Whisky a go go
FFF Fest; King Diamond, Judas Priest, Pallbearer, Power Trip and other bands.

Worst: Flotsam and Jetsam. It wasn't a bad show but it was boring when they played their new songs.

Yoschi29's picture

The best bands I saw this year:
Kreator (at Wacken and in Ludwigsburg, but Wacken was cooler),
Prong (at Wacken and in Karlsruhe, but Karlsruhe was killer!),
In Extremo (at Summer Breeze)
and a few others...

Worst:
Saltatio Mortis
I saw them... don't know five? times this year during the "Mittelalterliche Phantasiespectaculum" (Medieval phantasy-spectacle) where they got pretty boring and I don't really like the singer.

RavenEffect's picture

Best:
-Kreator: So here's a band that has nothing else to prove, has 30 years under their belt and they still put out amazing epic Gigs. This was just a fierce massive moshpit the entire time. Glorious!

Others:
- Graveyard: Awesome swedish Rock band, put up a great show.
- Red Fang: Knew a couple of their albums but I never expected them to be so energetic live.
- Annihilator: Blew my mind how great this was since I always tought they were a washed-up band by now.
- Overkill: Just an overall solid gig.
- Sleepy Sun: Good psych band, good show.

Worst:
- Soilwork: I was never a fan of this band but tought at least the gig would entertain me. It was just bored to death, the singer was more worried about getting his stupid Titanic pose than getting us in the mood for the show. Everyone was just so lifeless and through the motions, this sucked beyond measures.

Other bad ones:
- Electric Wizard: Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot but their show just bored me.
- Opeth: This is weird because I'm a big fan and have almost all their records. Sadly this was a really shitty wait to end the 2nd day of the festival.

J.j. Ratte's picture

I didn't see many shows this year, but I think the show I enjoyed the most this year was Sodoms show in Germany last month and the Flotsam and Jetsams gig on the Keep It True Festival (they only played the first two records). And the worst show of 2014 (I'm really sorry to tell this, especially for the fans, but no hard feelings) was Metal Church and Toxik (also on the KIT festival)... I know lots of people liked the show there, but I didn't ;)

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments