TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Best Metal Concert Of Your Life

Cbower
Thu, 28/04/2016 - 07:39

What's the best show you've ever had the pleasure/honor of seeing and why?

Cbower's picture

Mine was King Diamond, Abigail tour, 1987, at L'Amoure Club in Brooklyn. I was right up against the stage directly in front of Andy LaRocque. It was completely insane. I got to meet King that night and got numerous high fives from him during the show. Fucking awesome night I will never forget. Recently took my son to see the Abigail show, November 2, '15 at the Warfield in SF. Blew my mind, like time travel with my kid! I also saw "Them" and "Conspiracy" shows at L'Amoure, would have been '88 and '89 which were close runners up, just not quite the same level of gut wrenching intensity as Abigail was.

I got to see my old friend Brian Tichy play drums for Ozzy at Ozzfest 2000, in Sacramento, CA. Pantera and Black Lable Society opened. Took my son backstage to meet the bands. Ozzy was sick that night and so got right on his bus after the show so we didn't get to meet him. But hung out with Zach Wylde in the parking lot talking about music and metal with my seven year old kid. Very cool night.

Runners up would be Metal Church, Blessing in Disguise tour at L'Amoure Club, I believe Sepultura opened that night. Flotsam and Jetsam at L'Amoure, No Place for Disgrace tour. Celtic Frost was supposed to open but they cancelled last minute. Damn shame. Malmsteen, Trilogy tour, Long Beach Arena, Jeff Scott Soto surprise guest on vocals after Mark Boals was sacked. That was a phenomenal show. Manowar, Kings of Metal tour, 1988 at a small club in NJ. Definitely the loudest concert I've ever seen. The entire stage and back wall all the way up to the ceiling was lined with guitar cabinets. And they played 45 minutes of Chinese gibberish full blast before they came on just to piss us off and go fucking crazy.

Der Todesking's picture

Damn! Would have loved to be there too!

Cbower's picture

Hell yea brother!

THMManiac's picture

Enforcer, cauldron, Warbringer and Exmortus. Holy shit it was great.

Cbower's picture

Recently saw Exmortus open for Flotsom and Jetsam. They kicked some serious ass.

Nater90's picture

Slipknot in 2012.

Slipknot have always been one of my favourite bands, Sadly it was the Memorial Tour for Paul Gray RIP, But finally getting to see them live was really amazing, And I got to see them with one of my best friends, We became friends from both loving Slipknot almost 10 years ago now....

Getting to "Jump The Fuck Up" from their song Spit It Out was fucking awesome! The whole arena jumped the fuck up!

Being able to see them when their stuff was epic, I felt heart broken with their latest album The Gray Chapter...Just doesn't have the Slipknot feel, All Hope Is Gone had some stuff that was bit iffy to, Title sorta suits it eh...But great to hear the songs I love.

Mayhem in 2014.

One of my all time favourite Black Metal bands, Wish I had my Mayhem / Morbid Tribute Kutte finished and had the chance to meet Mayhem but they didn't come out after their set...But what a show! They sounded amazing and the set was killer, Was everything I wanted to hear, see and so much more. Would've loved to seen with Dead RIP back in the day! But I wasn't alive nor knew what Black Metal was haha, Would love to see them perform with Maniac on vocals and play View From Nihil, Attila is a great vocalist and front men, But I do prefer Dead and Maniac. They played Soundwave in 2015, But there was fuck all bands that I liked so I missed them.

Cannibal Corpse in 2014.

I got to interview Rob Barrett of Cannibal Corpse, Which was fucking amazing, Till this day one of the greatest things I'll always hold close to me, They are the band that started my love of old school Death Metal! Each time from 2010 up till the 2014 show I couldn't afford to go, Finally 2014 was my time! It was mind blowing, They sounded fucking great, I could feel the drums in my chest and loved every single second of it! I wish they had played Bloodlands (First ever song I heard) but didn't, But I'm sure they'll be back soon so I can only hope! When I spoke to Rob he said to come introduce myself and we'll hang out, I had to get the last train home but I heard few days later they came out 15 or so minutes after their set, I could have met them! And kinda kick myself, But shit happens, I'm still happy as a pig in shit that I got to see them and interview Rob.

There is still a lot of bands I want to see, A lot of great shows and memories throughout the years, I love being a Metal head.

bad_american1992's picture

Iron Maiden + Co. in San Bernardino 2013
Out of the ten thousand people there I ran into a girl I hadn't seen in ages, we swapped numbers and started going out right after that. Still together and going to shows. In addition to that... ate at Grill 'em All with the gang on the way down, shot off fireworks during Anthrax's set, stole all kinds of shit to throw on the bonfire, ran into a TSS member in Overkill's pit, and watched Maiden destroy everyone's eardrums.

The funniest moment was after the show, we were regrouping around a trash fire and this weirdo teenager comes up. He gets on his knees and worshiping the fire with this sincere look of reverence on his face. Then he starts fishing around in his back pack, pulls out a chocolate bar and begins munching that while still bowing and waving his hands frantically over the bonfire. We couldn't stop laughing.

Cbower's picture

I gotta find me a metal chick..

Der Todesking's picture

Hard to tell, but one has surely been The Devil's Blood with Urfaust. Cant rem. the date though, 3-4 years ago I think...

headbangingmadness's picture

Nile back in February this year. They have always been my favorite technical death metal band and their performance was just amazing in every way. They played pretty much all of my favorite songs including Sarcophagus. I even got to meet Karl Sanders and he signed all of my shit including the setlist that I caught. He was a very nice and down to earth guy. The show itself was just unbelievable. I was at the front the whole entire time and was just going absolutely insane the whole time. However when they played Sarcophagus, I just fucking lost it and went absolutely insane. During the outro of the song where they play the same riff over and over again, I was headbanging and jumping so much that karl and dallas were pointing their guitars at me and moving around to the beat of the song. After the show they told me that they had never seen someone with as much energy as me during that song and that it meant a lot to them. They were nice guys and the whole experience is simply unforgettable and will go down as my favorite concert for a VERY long time.

DethronedEmperor23's picture

Morbid Saint reunion show and Whiplash. No barriers, or your typical metalhead nerds to ruin the show. Was great

Also Power Trip, if you've ever seen them, you'd know.

stefke's picture

Heaven and Hell at Graspop 2009.
last show of Ronnie James DIo in Belgium.
there for: my all time favorite concert!

slow worm's picture

Megadeth, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom last November. it was the first time I went to a concert alone (i have no metal friends D: ) and i fucking loved it!!! the freedom of movement was great, and chatting to random dudes, i even managed to squirm my way to the very front, in front of the singer's mic no less!!

imfan1975's picture

Well, can't say I'm done going to shows but for now my favorite is when I saw Archgoat with Valkyrja, and Hellfire Deathcult.

It was a small and intimate show, the atmosphere was great and the band played their set with power. Felt like a black mass.

DraconianStark666's picture

Dude, so fucking jealous! Fuck 21+ shows!

Der Todesking's picture

Carcass & Atrocity (ger) 1990 was great too. It was in Frankfurt, germany, small club. And I was 15 years old, haha! Carcass had their slide show with pics of corpses & diseases etc during their show, like they usually had back then. And as intro Carcass had a song from Dead Can Dance. The club was total black during the ultra atmospheric intro, no lights! Sick show! Also, it was the first tour feat. Michael Amott, he just joined the band. It was the birthday of Atrocity singer Alex Krull, & Noisecore heroes 7 Minutes Of Nausea opened the gig. VERY funny, some songs were over before the "singer" even noticed the song is playing (one second songs!), lmao! Atrocity didnt have their debut album out yet, & we were curious how the new songs are gonna be. They sounded much rougher & more brutal than later on the album (which is still great!). All in all, one great night I will never forget.

Dr. Fill's picture

That is an awesome story! Atrocity are maybe the strangest band ever but man what a great time that must have been!

DeathByMetalAustralia's picture

In no order:
Megadeth 1992 RIP tour
Anthrax 2007 reunion tour
Morbid Angel 1992 Blessed tour
Abramelin & Necrotomy tour I think 1995.

whiteravenmetal's picture

Satan or Raven

Chainbreaker's picture

Early 2000's at Graspop, first tour with Bruce again on vocals with Iron Maiden. It was like a dream come true!
Runner up:
Also early 2000s at Graspop. It was raining hard during the Saxon gig and in the middle of the show Biff took one of the really filthy buckets of water they had used to mop up the stage and he emptied it over his head, crying: "now we're all fuckin' miserable!". Unforgettable! On later shows I've seen him do the same with a bottle of mineral water, but it wasn't quite as rock 'n roll.;-)

kimo's picture

Twisted Sister 1985
Guns n Roses 1989

Guy_BP's picture

first row autopsy at Netherland Deathfest 2016. could barely breathe with all the people squeezing around me. my friend got a pick from asphyx and autopsy one show after another at that festival \m/

sandmanforce's picture

AC/DC METALLICA MÖTLEY CRÜE QUEENSRÜCHE 1991 Budapest

kereealazer's picture

Opeth 25th Anniversary Tour 2015: The Heritage of Chill. I kept missing them and when I finally saw them I was overwhelmed.

NEC's picture

Carcass in 2015 and Morbid Saint in 2014.. Just few gigs would have in China per year. These two were impressive for me!

Tankard Emptyer's picture

A Night Of Violent Force at Headbangers Open Air 2014

miggy_666's picture

Maiden on the Somewhere Back in Time tour, May 2008. Runner up is Danzig and Type O Negative, Halloween 1994.

Necro Rican's picture

Nervosa 03/19/16 at La Respuesta venue here in PR.

chainsawrentalshop's picture

Nervosa are realy great.
I've seen them 4 times and every show was a blast!

nizbah's picture

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules Tour 1982 met Tony & Ronnie due to Tony's dog running up to us.
Dio - Holy Diver Tour 1983 Queensryche & Wild Dogs opened.
Scorpions / Iron Maiden / Girlschool 1982
Iron Maiden / Saxon / Fastway 1983
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance 1982
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel Tour 1984 Mace & Metal Church opened,

Cbower's picture

Would have loved to have seen Dio with Sabbath and Priest Screaming must have been killer.

DraconianStark666's picture

Best Overall Show: Cannibal Corpse, Suicide Silence (weak point), Wretched, Carnavarice Breath, Dying Eyes of Sloth, and another local DM band whose name I can't remember

The intimate atmosphere of the show, as it was a one-off show with a couple bands on that year's Mayhem Fest with a couple local bands, was amazing. The fact I got to the front row was a plus.

Best set: Carach Angren this past February. Holy Shit. Wow. There are several main factors of live performance to make it worthwhile. Energy, Ability to play the music, atmosphere, and aesthetic
They maxed out all four. Abigail Williams' set was great, as well

nameless_rites's picture

Most shows these days dont interest me, its not worth the sweat and close encounters with retards to hear 45 mins of feedback obscured noise that slightly resembles the music if you strain yr ears.

HOWEVER i saw Gravelands debut show in Italy in April and i felt like i was 17 again. Despite a few tech glitches there was genuine passion on display, the old shit, that has mostly vanished since from black metal. When they played "thousand swords" it was
enthralling

Runners up were Maiden/Sabbath 2004, Manowar/Immortal 2002, Immolation/Vader 2002, Emperor/a bunch of bands no one gives a fuck about 2007... outside of metal I have to mention Kenny Rogers 2011 at the PNE fair in Vancouver BC. I dont really like country music but that guy's audience banter is so fucking hilarious he's worth seeing just to hear him talk.

Into Glory Ride's picture

Really, really jealous concerning Graveland.

DeathFuckinMetal's picture

Dismember in 2008, was right up front eye level with the band! This will always stand out as my favourite gig ever, played an awesome set and the whole band signed my poster after the gig was over. Also got a pick off of Tobias.

kissman's picture

KISS - "Psycho Circus" 3D Tour, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1999)

Haint's picture

Best show for me was a late 90s Ozzfest in Ohio. I had an in with Visions of Disorder so got back stage passes for the tour. Went to many that summer but the Ohio show.....man. Manson had messed up the monitors and pissed Ozzy off. Ozzy and Sabbath got on the bus and left. So big show no Ozzy. Security had a huge meeting with us and made those of us going out into the crowd be hush hush. Time for Ozzy and Sabbath came and most of the bands got together for a jam on old Ozzy and Sabbath tunes. I'm talking Manson singing Crazy train backed by Dime and Mike Bordin. Phil singing with Machine Head...it was epic. After the crowd found out there was no Ozzy it became a mad house. The place was wrecked and cars were flipped and on fire. Very memorable.

Damn dude... just pulled up info on that show, fuckin' wild!

Haint's picture

Yeah, They say Ozzy was sick....he was sick of Mansons shit. Manson messed with his monitors and it royally pissed Ozzy off. Back stage was just a big a mess as outside due to a bomb threat. After Ozzy left it was on lock down for a while. But the music we got to witness.....many will not get that.

Manson's always misbehaving on stage. I've never heard anyone say that he's put on a good show.
That said, some of those musical pairings trying to fill in for Ozzy seem awesome, with Pete Steele, Phil / Dimebag, Rob Trujillo and others attempting to keep the peace! Found a few recordings on youtube from that festival, sadly no videos of the riot.

Haint's picture

The riot was upplayed. Yes there was damage and "then new" trans ams flipped and burnt but it was a semi controlled chaos :).

Into Glory Ride's picture

Hard to say. One of the best Black Metal Concerts for sure was LUNAR AURORA in the Netherlands, in the Goudvishal several years ago together with GRAUPEL. That one was pure magick.

Another one would be URFAUST together with THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and GRAUPEL in Aachen, also quite some time ago now.

SACRED STEEL playing in front of roundabout 50 people 2 years ago was also one of the best pure Epic Heavy Metal Experiences i ever had.

Another one i would think of was the KING DIAMOND Concert last year, playing the Entire Abigail-Album on the otherwise fucking stupid Fortarock. And KING DIAMOND in Gelsenkirchen on the Rock Hard Festival.

RED SPAROWES live in Cologne was also a one of a kind experience i will never forget.

Probably alot more...

chainsawrentalshop's picture

Hard to say.
Maybe to see Bloodbath and Bolt Thrower at Party-San 2008 in one night?!
But I think one of the best shows were Accu§er in 1995 at Braunschweig in a small club!
They played there one year before, during their headliner tour in front of 50(max. 100) people.
It was so much fun for them that they decided to come back for a warm up show for their support for Overkill.
This time the club was nearly sold out (200 people?!)
They had to play with temporary guitar player who only knew the set for the night.
The crowd wanted more, so they played half of the set again!

Great night!!!

Vombatus's picture

I'd have a hard time to choose. Though some stuff for me would be:

BOLTFEST in 2012 with Bolt Thrower, Autopsy, Discharge, Benediction and Vallenfye. Starting with In Battle There Is No Law, covering a bit of every album and ending with When Cannons Fade? Yes please!

Also, first time seeing motherfucking KING DIAMOND at Hellfest 2012. And again the following summer at METALDAYS, even with some Mercyful Fate tunes!

URFAUST obviously needs a mention. Perhaps their show in Brussels along The Ruins of Beverast, Bölzer and a few others was the best time I saw them. Perfect sound and they played longer than usual (a whole hour, maybe even more?), including almost full version of Vom Gesicht und Rätsel!

And SUNNO))). Each time I see them, my mind is shaterred into pieces and my body aches but damn, it's the best thing ever. I still remember their legendary show at TEMPLES 2015 where they just rekt the whole venue (and I'm not even kindding, they caused structural damage that delayed the schedule hahahaha). Definitely the most oppressive show ever. The impact on the body, brain and visuals is just too much. People nosebleeding, puking, fainting and general unease has it's charme =D

Hárbarðr's picture

Very hard to say, but perhaps the best one could be Midnight and Enforcer on a shitty club in 2013: it wss the first time both bands played here and they slayed, the crowd went absolutely insane, at some point an old cabinet appeared in the middle of the pit and got shred to bits, etc.
One of the best gigs i've ever seen.

BlackMetalPete's picture

Either Raven/Metallica at the Keystone Berkeley in 1983 or Slayer/Exodus at Ruthie's Inn in 1984.

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments